Rhydymwyn FC lost out by one goal to nil against FC Queens Park in the FAW Amateur Trophy on Saturday afternoon.

In what was a tight game, a second half Barry Torrence goal sent the visitors into the third round draw at the expense of Anthony Weaver and Jord Parry’s side.

The game started with neither side giving much away in the early stages, which saw Queens Park’s first set pieces, a free kick and resulting corner, punched away by keeper Callum Manley.

In the 25th, Rhydymwyn made a good attacking play seeing Rob Jones get down the right wing and square to Sam Haley, who had his shot pushed past the left post by keeper Joseph Jones.

Queens Park were meanwhile making regular runs into the Rhyd half, but good defensive organisation paid dividends with the likes of Ryan Edwards and Harry Massey able to hold them off.

Shortly before the break in the 41st, Rhydymwyn hit the woodwork twice in under a minute, with Nathan Mendoza lobbing the keeper only to see his effort go on the crossbar and bounce back out, and Sam Haley seeing a shot also hit the crossbar just 30 seconds later.

The second half saw the game remain tight as Queens Park looked to hold onto the possession in the midfield with Rhyd pressing for more time on the ball.

There was little between them until the 67th minute, when the experienced Barry Torrence sent the ball over GK Manley and in from around 23 yards out to give his side the lead.

Rhyd battled to stay in the game, taking control of the ball regularly as the game’s latter stage began, but were unable to find the net on the day.

Whilst they exit the FAW Amateur, they still face a busy schedule of both league and cup action in the forthcoming week.

Rhydymwyn take on St Asaph City FC in the LockStock Ardal North West on Wednesday 11th August for a 6:45pm kick off at Roe Plas, before turning their attentions to the JD Welsh Cup first round against CPD Y Rhyl 1879 on Saturday 14th August.

Following the game, co-manager Anthony Weaver spoke in his post match interview: